Monday, March 21, 2011

Invisible Children Assembly

I was very inspired by the story of invisible children. What I was most impressed with was not only what the boys are doing to help the situation but the way they conduct their charity. There are so many times I will hear of a charity and think it is probably doing something great, I just don’t know what. What Invisible Children is doing is remarkable though. They are truly identifying the problems and doing something to fix it rather than just throwing money at the problem. What stood out to me was when Jolie said that Western Society thinks it is okay to just send shoes and act like they are helping the situation, when reality they are just teaching people in Africa to be dependent on the gifts from America. The school that Invisible Children started was amazing. The fact that kids in Africa are being kidnapped and taught to fight while others are being taught to be leaders so someday they can fix the problem themselves really spoke to me. The greatest gift that can be given to this country is to teach people how to be self-sufficient and start to deal with the problems internally rather than depending on help from outside sources. That doesn’t mean no one should help the people but we should help them by providing them with resources to help themselves. The radio project and rehabilitation are just as amazing as the school they have set up. I was extremely moved by this assembly even the way their tee shirts are made from cotton made in Uganda by former soldiers. I want to look into other ways to support and be involved with this charity because I think the work they are doing is remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment